Arsenopyrite with Quartz
- Panasqueira, Covilha, Castelo Branco Dist., Portugal
- Cabinet, 15.0 x 14.0 x 4.0 cm
- Start Time: 04/15/2021 6:00:00 pm (CDT)
- End Time: 05/01/2021 6:05:00 pm (CDT)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
Portugal produced a variety of minerals and was, and this location remains, one of the classic deposits for so many mineral species in one mine, of which the most notable were arsenopyrite, ferberite, and apatite. This is an old time specimen from the earlier workings here (it is now being mined again after a long hiatus), and probably dates from the 1960s and 1970s. It is a flat plate that nevertheless appears three-dimensional, as the Arsenopyrite crystals are so sharp and grow into each other in a curving manner, almost like waves in water. This large specimen simply has a special look to it. It is big, bright, sparkly, and also just superb for the species from this locality. Valued $4-5000. 1.4 kilos!