Calcite (fluorescent) var. Manganoan
- Bor Mine, Dalnegorsk, Primorskiy Kray, Far-Eastern Region, Russia
- Cabinet, 12.5 x 10.5 x 5.0 cm
- Start Time: 04/15/2021 6:00:00 pm (CDT)
- End Time: 05/01/2021 6:00:00 pm (CDT)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
This is a gemmy, sparkling, transparent twinned calcite from one of the famous mines of Dalnegorsk, featuring an unusual symmetry. It is not small, at 760 grams, and yet it is nearly perfect and pristine, with just a few small dings and damages that could be helped if it went to a lab, if the buyer so chooses. It is complete all around! This is a historic style of the older era here, and not modern - I believe that Fran purchased all his Dalnegorsk material before 2010, and in any case most of what we saw on the Western markets at the time actually came out years before. Note the gorgeous bright orange fluorescence, due to minute inclusions of manganese that must be present even though the crystal is white/colorless, and not pink as most manganoan calcite is.