Calcite & Hemimorphite
- Charcas, Mun. de Charcas, San Luis Potosí, Mexico
- Large Cabinet, 16.0 x 16.0 x 6.0 cm
- Start Time: 04/15/2021 6:00:00 pm (CDT)
- End Time: 05/01/2021 6:05:00 pm (CDT)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
This is a very large plate of what actually is a rare and historic style of hemimorphite from Mexico, with stunning gem crystals arranged in parallel growths of thousands, sparkling at their gemmy tips. It is a really sharp contrast to see the razor-sharp white calcite rhombohedra perched atop and intergrown with the slender hemimorphite gems. It's 1.7 kilos, so this is NOT small, and it really stands out on a shelf more than you'd expect for something that is white-colorless, because of the sparkle. This is an old style, estimated to be from the 1970s to 1980s. While it did not fit any of the suites in the collection, Fran Allegra kept it for years simply because it is beautiful.