Fluorite & Baryte
- Elmwood Mine, Carthage, Smith Co., Tennessee, USA
- Large Cabinet, 18.0 x 16.0 x 13.0 cm
- Start Time: 04/15/2021 6:00:00 pm (CDT)
- End Time: 05/01/2021 6:00:00 pm (CDT)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
This is a classic style from the older finds at Elmwood, as you can tell by the incredible purple color, classic for 1980s material. The piece is massive, about the size of a bowling ball and 12.3 pounds, and displays really well with minimal lighting needed to get the purple highlights to show up in a case. It is attractively decorated with bright white clusters of baryte (formerly Barite on labels!). The largest fluorites are 3 cm on edge. It is not quite pristine - there are a few very small and trivial dings here and there - but it is close to perfect condition and acceptable, given the size and age of the piece. Fran always liked this for the color, much more intense than the newer finds of the 90s and early 2000s eras of mining here.