Ruby (rare classic locality specimen) (ex Bill Larson Collection)
- John Saul Mine (Rockland mine), Tsavo West, Voi, Taita-Taveta County, Kenya
- Toenail, 2.2 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
- Start Time: 01/20/2022 9:00:00 pm (CST)
- End Time: 01/27/2022 6:45:00 pm (CST)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
A beautiful vivid purplish-red Ruby specimen from the famous John Saul Mine (Rockland Mine) in southern Kenya. While Ruby specimens have been found in many localities in Kenya over the years, pieces from the famous John Saul Mine are highly sought after. This locality was a major producer of Ruby dating back many decades ago, and was arguably the first major Ruby locality in Kenya. This attractive, doubly-terminated "floater" crystal shows excellent hexagonal form, with a dark purplish-pink exterior, but the interior is richly colored and just glows with backlighting. Under long wave UV light, the piece displays a vivid red color. A fine quality, and truly desirable Ruby from this renowned locality. Specimen weight is 3.79 grams. From the collection of Bill Larson.