Morganite (rare - Bill Larson Coll. collection)
- Katerina Mine, Hiriart Mtn., Pala Mining Dist., San Diego Co., California, USA
- Miniature, 4.9 x 2.7 x 2.6 cm
- Start Time: 07/17/2021 6:30:00 pm (CDT)
- End Time: 07/22/2021 6:30:00 pm (CDT)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
A pretty 2.5 x 2.2 x 1.1 cm, textbook, hexagonal, tabular morganite crystal is attractively set on the miniature matrix of quartz and feldspar. The light pink, lustrous, translucent crystal has a crackly interior. The Katerina Mine on Hiriart Mountain was discovered in 1902 and the pegmatite has been intermittently worked until recently. It is known to have produced kunzite, spodumene, lepidolite, morganite and quartz. See: https://www.mindat.org/loc-9684.html for more information on the pegmatite. The piece probably dates to the 1990s finds. Ex Bill Larson San Diego County Pegmatite Collection and long on display at his Pala International shop in Fallbrook. Very uncommon and excellent morganite from the Katerina Mine.