Pyromorphite (classic locale) Lee Burnett Coll.
- Wheatley Mines, Phoenixville Mining Dist., Chester Co., Pennsylvania, USA
- Cabinet, 10.1 x 6.6 x 5.3 cm
- Start Time: 07/17/2021 6:30:00 pm (CDT)
- End Time: 07/22/2021 6:30:00 pm (CDT)
- Auction Closed
- Winning Bidder: Private Bidder
Rich green clusters of tiny, lustrous, translucent, hexagonal pyromorphite prisms are festooned on the large contrasting oxide-coated blocky sculptural quartz matrix on this rich and showy specimen from the historic Wheatley Mines. Mining started in 1851 and the mines closed during the Civil War in the 1860s! Limited mining occurred from 1917 to 1920. See the 1989 Mineralogical Record article in Vol. 20, No. 5. These are classic, highly desirable American pyromorphites and this is a good one for the size. Ex Lee Burnett Collection of Morrison, Colorado.